||Myelin biogenesis, multiple sclerosis (MS), trafficking and signalling in oligodendrocytes.
- Research Profile
- Selected Publications
Wia Baron is an Associate Professor at the Department of Cell Biology at University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG). Dr. Baron’s research interests lie in the area of myelin biogenesis and myelin repair with emphasis on the disease multiple sclerosis (MS).
She graduated cum laude in Biochemistry, with Immunology as an additional subject, at the University of Groningen in 1994. In 1999, she received her PhD degree in Medical Sciences from the University of Groningen under Prof. Dick Hoekstra, and has subsequently worked as a postdoctoral fellow at the Cambridge Centre for Brain Repair in Cambrigde (UK) in the group of Prof. Charles ffrench-Constant. Dr. Baron was awarded an MS fellowship (2004) and is a VIDI-Aspasia recipient (2008).
- Baron W, Ozgen H, Klunder B, de Jonge JC, Nomden A, Plat A, Trifilieff E, de Vries H, Hoekstra D. (2015), The major myelin-resident protein PLP is transported to myelin membranes via a transcytotic mechanism: involvement of sulfatide. Mol Cell Biol. 35, 288-302. (pdf)
- Stoffels JM, de Jonge JC, Stancic M, Nomden A, van Strien ME, Ma D, Siskova Z, Maier O, ffrench-Constant C, Franklin RJ, Hoekstra D, Zhao C, Baron W. (2013), Fibronectin aggregation in multiple sclerosis lesions impairs remyelination. Brain 136, 116-131. (pdf)
- Stancic M, Slijepceviv D, Nomden A, Vos MJ, de Jonge JC, Sikkema AH, Gabius HJ, Hoekstra D, Baron W. (2012), Galectin-4, a novel neuronal regulator of myelination. Glia 60, 919-935. (pdf)
- Stancic M, van Horssen J, Thijssen VL, Gabius HJ, van der Valk P, Hoekstra D, Baron W (2011), Increased expression of different galectins in multiple sclerosis lesions. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 37, 654-671. (pdf )
- Maier O, Baron W, Hoekstra D. (2007), Reduced raft-association of NF155 in active MS-lesions is accompanied by the disruption of the paranodal junction. Glia 55, 885-895. (pdf)
- Maier O, de Jonge JC, Nomden A, Hoekstra D, Baron W. (2009), Lovastatin induces the formation of abnormal myelin-like membrane sheets in primary oligodendrocytes. Glia 57, 402-413. (pdf)
- Siskova Z, Baron W, de Vries H, Hoekstra D. (2006), Fibronectin impedes ‘myelin’ sheet-directed flow in oligodendrocytes: a role for a beta 1 integrin-mediated PKC signaling pathway in vesicular trafficking. Mol Cell Neurosci, 150-159. (pdf)
- Baron W, Decker L, Colognato H, ffrench-Constant C. (2003), Regulation of integrin growth factor interactions in oligodendrocytes by lipid raft microdomains. Curr Biol 13, 151-155. (pdf)
- Colognato H, Baron W, Avellan-Adaiod V, Relvas JB, Baron-van Evercooren A, Georges-Labouesse E., ffrench-Consant C. (2002), CNS integrin switch growth factor signaling to promote target-dependent survival. Nat Cell Biol. 4, 833-841. (pdf)
- Baron W, Shattil SJ, ffrench-Constant C (2002), The oligodendrocyte precursor mitogen PDGF stimulates proliferation by activation of αvβ3 integrins. EMBO J 21, 833-841. (pdf)