||Effects of radiation on normal tissues
- Research Profile
- Selected Publications
Rob Coppes obtained his PhD in Molecular Pharmacology at the University of Groningen in 1993. Attracted by the possibility to use a pharmacological approach to attenuate radiation-induced tissue damage he became a post-doctoral fellowship at Department of Radiobiology at the University of Groningen under the supervision of Profs A.W.T. Konings, A. Vissink and later Prof H.H. Kampinga.
In 2000 he moved to the department of Radiotherapy as a clinical radiation biologist and started his own lab at the department of Cell Biology to focus on the effect of irradiation on normal tissues such as, lung and salivary glands. He became a full professor of Radiotherapy with focus on the Radiation Biology of normal tissues in 2012. His lab developed in vivo and in vitro models on purification and characterization of stem/progenitor cells from mice, rat and human salivary and thyroid gland as well as esophagus. This lead to the development of a protocol for adult stem cell therapy for radiation-induced hyposalivation and consequential xerostomia, which is now being translated to the clinic.
Currently, his group is investigating the possibility of using patient derived tumor organoids to develop personalized medicine. In 2015 he received the Bacq-and-Alexander Award of the European Radiation Research Society to an outstanding European researcher to recognize achievements in the field of radiation research.
- Nagle PW, Hosper NA, Ploeg EM, van Goethem M-J, Brandenburg S, Langendijk JA, ... Coppes RP. (2016). The In Vitro Response of Tissue Stem Cells to Irradiation With Different Linear Energy Transfers .Int J Rad Oncol Biol Phys , 95(1), 103-111. (pdf)
- Pringle S, Maimets M, van der Zwaag M, Stokman MA, van Gosliga D, Zwart E, ... Coppes RP. (2016). Human Salivary Gland Stem Cells Functionally Restore Radiation Damaged Salivary Glands. Stem cells, 34(3), 640-652. (pdf)
- Maimets M, Rocchi C, Bron R, Pringle S, Kuipers J, Giepmans BNG, ... Coppes RP. (2016).Long-Term In Vitro Expansion of Salivary Gland Stem Cells Driven by Wnt Signals. Stem Cell Reports, 150-162. (pdf)
- van der Veen SJ, Faber H, Ghobadi G, Brandenburg S, Langendijk JA, Coppes RP, van Luijk P. (2016). Decreasing Irradiated Rat Lung Volume Changes Dose-Limiting Toxicity From Early to Late Effects. Int J Rad Oncol Biol Phys , 94(1), 163-171. (pdf)
- Ghobadi G, Wiegman EM, Langendijk JA, Widder J, Coppes RP, van Luijk P. (2015). A new CT-based method to quantify radiation-induced lung damage in patients. Radiotherapy and Oncology, 117(1), 4-8. (pdf)
- van Luijk P, Pringle S, Deasy JO, Moiseenko VV, Faber H, Hovan A, ... Coppes RP. (2015). Sparing the region of the salivary gland containing stem cells preserves saliva production after radiotherapy for head and neck cancer. Science Translational Medicine, 7(305), 305-147. (pdf)
- van der Veen SJ, Ghobadi G, de Boer RA, Faber H, Cannon MV, Nagle PW, ... Coppes RP. (2015). ACE inhibition attenuates radiation-induced cardiopulmonary damage. Radiotherapy and Oncology, 114(1), 96-103. (pdf)
- Vissink A, van Luijk P, Langendijk JA, Coppes RP. (2015). Current ideas to reduce or salvage radiation damage to salivary glands. Oral diseases, 21(1), E1-E10. (pdf)
- Nanduri LS, Baanstra M, Faber H, Rocchi C, Zwart E, de Haan G, van Os R, Coppes RP. (2014) Purification and ex vivo expansion of fully functional salivary gland stem cells. Stem Cell Reports. 2014 Dec 9;3(6):957-64. (pdf)